Who doesn’t love a delicious bagel for breakfast? Maybe with cream cheese, some lox, and thinly sliced onion. Yum!
The problem is that bagels, while incredibly delicious and wonderful to eat, are shockingly high in carbohydrates (carbs) because of the refined wheat flour. A plain old bagel has roughly 50 grams of carbs! Go for one of the flavored bagels and you can be heading toward 100 grams of carbs.
While carbs in and of themselves are not bad, there is now overwhelming evidence that refined carbs like flour and sugar are really bad in anything other than very small amounts. And a bagel is not a small amount.
I spent a little time experimenting and came up with this delicious bagel that is really easy to make. Plus it has good fats, protein (especially important if you are getting the exercise you should), and very little bit of carbs from a healthy source.
This recipe makes a dozen bagels.
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour (I buy the Almond Flour Blanched, Anthony’s 4lb Bag, Certified Gluten-Free from Amazon)
- 1/4 cup organic, ground flaxseed meal (I buy Trader Joe’s brand)
- 1 scoop collagen protein (best I’ve found is Bulletproof Upgraded Collagen Protein)
- 1 scoop collagelatin (again, Bulletproof Collagelatin)
- 1 Tbsp unflavored, unsweetened Whey Protein Powder ((I use TGS All Natural 100% Whey Protein Powder – Unflavored, Non Denatured, Unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp Coconut Flour (try something like Arrowhead Mills Organic Fair Trade Coconut Flour)
- 1 Tbsp MCT oil (I use Left Coast Performance Coconut MCT Oil)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 5 large organic, pasture raised eggs
- 1/4 tsp sea salt or other non-table salt (if you’re new to something other than Morton’s try the Limited Edition Artisan Salt Sampler from Saltworks)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Mix all the ingredients in a countertop mixer (like my KitchenAid KSM75WH Classic Plus Series 4.5-Quart Tilt-Head Stand Mixer, White from Amazon). Fill each well of the donut mold up to the just below the top of the center hole piece (like these Wilton 2105-1620 6 Cavity Nonstick Donut Pans (2 Pack) from Amazon). Bake for 25 minutes then take out.
Let cool in the mold for 5-10 minutes then they are ready to serve or store!
|Anthony’s – Blanched Almond Flour, 10 ounce||1,673||54||150||62||57||14|
|Trader Joe’s – Ground Flaxseed, 0.25 cup(s)||180||12||12||4||0||4|
|Bulletproof – Upgraded Collagen Protein, 11 g (2 tbs)||40||0||0||10||35||0|
|Bulletproof – Upgraded Collagelatin, 2 tbsp||100||0||0||26||0||0|
|Tgs Whey Protein – Whey Protein Unflavored, 0.5 Scoop||63||1||1||13||28||1|
|Coconut Flour, Organic, 0.5 ounce||48||1||1||3||28||1|
|Mct Oil – Premium, Organic Mct Oil, 1 tbsp||125||0||14||0||0||0|
|Vinegar, Apple Cider, 1 Tbsp||0||0||0||0||0||0|
|Pasture-raised Organic Large Eggs, 5 egg (50g)||350||0||25||30||350||0|
|Trader Joe’s – Baking Soda, 0.5 tsp||0||0||0||0||640||0|
|Himalayan Pink Salt, 0.25 t||0||0||0||0||420||0|
|Spices, onion powder, 0.5 tsp(s)||4||1||0||0||1||0|
|Spices, garlic powder, 0.5 tsp(s)||5||1||0||0||1||0|
2 thoughts on “Bagels That Won’t Make You Fat – Low Carb, Keto, Gluten Free”
Hi Ethan! Not sure this is the spot for this but here goes, I notice the podcast the last couple days show the time frame of the show only not the subject matter. Can you please include the subject matter again as its so much better to choose what portion of the show is of more value.
Arnold In NC
Comments are closed.