Veterans Day: A celebration to honor America’s veterans for their patriotism, love of country, and willingness to serve and sacrifice for the common good.
In November 1919, President Wilson proclaimed November 11 as the first commemoration of Armistice Day, “To us in America, the reflections of Armistice Day will be filled with solemn pride in the heroism of those who died in the country’s service and with gratitude for the victory, both because of the thing from which it has freed us and because of the opportunity it has given America to show her sympathy with peace and justice in the councils of the nations…”
And President Eisenhower updated the holiday on October 8, 1954, “In order to insure proper and widespread observance of this anniversary, all veterans, all veterans’ organizations, and the entire citizenry will wish to join hands in the common purpose. Toward this end, I am designating the Administrator of Veterans’ Affairs as Chairman of a Veterans Day National Committee, which shall include such other persons as the Chairman may select, and which will coordinate at the national level necessary planning for the observance.”
Thank each and every veteran today, for we are a free country due to their sacrifice.
And let’s keep the pressure on the politicians to make sure to take care of our country’s promise to each and every veteran for taking care of them in return for their service, since the politicians seem to dislike veterans once their purpose is served.
And lastly, all veterans can benefit from a few freebies today. Note: Most freebies are available on Monday, November 11. Be prepared to show military ID in order to cash in these Veterans Day freebies. Source: Parade
- Applebee’s: Free meal from the Thank You Meal Menu.
- Bar Louie: Get a free meal worth up to $12 November 10-11.
- Better Way to Stay: This organization of bed and breakfast inns can help you find a free stay November 10-11.
- California Pizza Kitchen: Free pizza; dine-in only.
- Carrabba’s: Free appetizer when you visit November 9-11.
- Champps Americana: Free burger and waffle fries.
- Cheeseburger in Paradise: Purchase a beverage for $1.99, and get a free burger and fries.
- Chili’s: Free entree from a special menu.
- Denny’s: Enjoy all the pancakes you want, on the house, from 6 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Einstein Bros. Bagels/Noah’s New York Bagels: Free bagel and a schmear of cream cheese (or another topping) from 5:30 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.
- Friendly’s: Free breakfast and coffee, in East Coast restaurant locations only.
- Golden Corral: Free dinner from 4 p.m. until 9 p.m.
- Grace for Vets: Use this site to find a free car wash.
- Great Clips: Free haircut.
- Hooter’s: Get a free meal, worth up to $10.99, with any drink purchase.
- Krispy Kreme: Free doughnut and small coffee at participating locations.
- Little Caesar’s: Free crazy bread.
- Longhorn Steakhouse: Free Texas “Tonion” appetizer and beverage (non-alcoholic only) November 11-14.
- Max & Erma’s: Free cheeseburger combo meal.
- McCormick and Schmick’s: Reserve your free dinneravailable on Sunday, November 10 only.
- National Parks Service: Free admission to all National Parks for everyone, November 9-11, in honor of Veterans Day.
- O’Charley’s: Free meal from the $9.99er menu.
- Olive Garden: Free meal from the Veterans Day menu. Any family members dining with you get 10 percent off their bill as part of Military Family Appreciation Month.
- On the Border: Free “Make Your Own Combo Meal” dinner item.
- Outback Steakhouse: Free bloomin’ onion and beverage.
- Red Robin: Free burger and fries.
- Red Lobster: Free appetizer November 11-14.
- Shoney’s: Free burger.
- Sizzler: Free lunch.
- Texas Roadhouse: Free lunch.
- TGIFridays: Free lunch from 11 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Tim Horton’s: Free doughnut.
One thought on “Happy Veterans Day 2013!”
Comments are closed.