Low Carb, Gluten Free, Nearly Paleo Bread
Whether you are a body-builder, a diabetic, have celiac or Crohn’s disease, there are many reasons that eating regular store bought or homemade bread might not be your thing. We have family in more than one of those categories and have been greatly disappointed with the products we can buy online or in the store. So, I decided it was high time I make a low carb, gluten free, nearly paleo bread.
This is definitely low carb (in the 1 to 1.5g carb per slice range), gluten free, and I am not into paleo but think this almost meets the paleo diet as well.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. First whip the egg whites until firm. Then melt the butter (I do it in a microwave safe ceramic dish). Follow by pouring the remaining ingredients in the mixing bowl with the egg whites and blend thoroughly. Pour into bread pan of your choice, I use a standard bread pan with parchment paper for lining. Bake for 45 minutes or brown to your liking. Let stand for 5 minutes and slice away!
- 4 large or 6 medium cage-free eggs
- 1 cup Whey Protein Powder (I used TGS All Natural 100% Whey Protein Powder – Unflavored, Non Denatured, Unsweetened)
- 2 Tbsp Swerve Sweetener (1 for 1 sugar substitute that I have found to be a great product and haven’t found the potential health concerns of other sweeteners)
- 1/4 cup butter (half of one stick)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp half and half (I always use organic)
This recipe only took me about 10 minutes to prep and about the same 10 minutes for clean up in the kitchen.
And don’t miss my newly posted tasty treats – Lower Carb, Lower Glycemic, Gluten Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
EDIT 6.6.2016 19:30 PDT – Reddit user today05 requested a video showing how the bread slices, added at the end of the post.